Check out why 250+ area residents have joined our organization...
Since our beginning in 1956, Stagecrafters have taken pride in our productions and in the friendships we gain by working together for a common goal. We are all volunteers, ages 18 and older, from all surrounding communities. We welcome new members of all skill levels and interests.
The Baldwin Theatre was built in 1922 as a grand Vaudeville house. The building changed hands and names through the years - for a period of time it was known as The Washington Theater. In 1985, Stagecrafters purchased the Baldwin Theatre from the City of Royal Oak. This beautiful old building was scheduled to be demolished because of fire, abandonment and neglect. Members, their families, friends and many citizens of the community joined together in funds, wares and long hours of hard labor to restore the opulent auditorium that you see today. The Baldwin Theatre was designated a local historical site in 2013.
The Main Stage auditorium seats 372. Broadway-style musicals, comedies and plays are presented each season. Our Youth Theatre also performs on the Main Stage. The former balcony has been converted into our 2nd Stage black box studio theatre, which seats 100. Here we present experimental or contemporary shows, as well as small cast productions.
There are many areas in which volunteers are needed. Some include:
• Set Design, construction, and dress• Costumes • Props • Hair and Makeup
• Sound • Lighting • Pinrail and Spotlights
• Set and Tech Crew • Stage Managing
• Producing • Directing • Music Directing • Playreading
• Ushering • Box Office Sales • Special Events Support
A production team is assembled for each show after directors are selected. There is activity in our playhouse nearly seven days a week and at all hours! We have a day crew that works on sets during business hours (10 am - 2 pm) and additional crews come in after 5 pm. You may join as many of the committees as your time permits. Adult members also help guide our Youth Theatre program (ages 8-18).
The benefits of membership:
• Social events provide a good time to mingle, and greet new and old friends.
• Our weekly e-broadcast keeps us informed of “happenings” within the group.
• Access to the My Account section of Stagecrafters' website. This exclusive section contains information about upcoming events, meetings, membership roster, production information, theatrical resources, ushering information and committees.
• Half-price ticket to each show or half-price season subscription.
• Voting rights at our annual membership meeting in May of each year.
The cost to join
Dues are $55.00 for the season. (July 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017). Current members have the opportunity to renew their membership at a reduced rate - call the office at 248-541-8027 more for details.
Stagecrafters is governed by a member-elected Board of Directors, which meets monthly. New member applications are presented at the meeting for approval.
If you have any questions prior to or after joining, please contact Membership Chair, Betsey Schrock.